The Happy Reader Issue 18 is available now on loremnotipsum.com. On the cover, photographer Davey Adésida captures the immeasurable energy of DIANE VON FURSTENBERG.
The Book of the Season, Nella Larsen’s novel PASSING, prompts stories on race, code-switching and the whirlwind of Harlem in the 1920s. This novel about race caused a major stir in 1929, only to then be forgotten and for its author to effectively vanish. It’s now recognised as one of the greatest books of the Harlem Renaissance. Contributors include: Willy Ndatira, Awol Erizku, Morgan Jenkins, Roisin Kiberd, Gabrielle Bellot, Wayde Compton and Georgina Lawton.
Discover The Happy Reader – Issue 18.
The magazine is centred on the concept of ‘precious print’, as embodied by Penguin Classics and Fantastic Man. It explores the myriad advantages of the printed word and image: beautiful typography, high dwell time, the matte charm of ink on paper, the calming luxury of being ‘offline’. The magazine is a design object in and of itself.
The Happy Reader is a unique magazine about reading for anyone who wishes to stay inspired, informed and entertained. With beautiful typography, the magazine is a design object which celebrates the pure pleasure of reading and the calming luxury of being offline. Each issue is split into two halves. The first half is an in-depth interview with a book fanatic and the second half gets under the skin of one classic work of literature. The concept of the magazine is excitingly simple: the first half is a long-form interview with a notable book fanatic and the second half explores one Penguin Classics title from an array of surprising and invigorating angles, through fashion, art, lifestyle, history, film and more. The Happy Reader is published four times per year. The magazine is centred on the concept of ‘precious print’, as embodied by Penguin Classics and Fantastic Man. It explores the myriad advantages of the printed word and image: beautiful typography, high dwell time, the matte charm of ink on paper, the calming luxury of being ‘offline’. The magazine is a design object in and of itself.
- The Interview: DIANE VON FURSTENBERG by Seb Emina — ‘I never wanted to be any woman other than myself, but I would like to be Venice’
- Diane’s fave sound files
- Introduction: Beyond Binaries by Seb Emina
- Diction: Adventures in telephony by Willy Ndatira — Why I no longer use white voice
- Arrangements: Artworks by Awol Erizku
- Milleu: Racial identity as a jury trial by Morgan Jenkins — The shocking true story that inspired Nella Larsen
- From novel to sketchbook to movie
- Computing: Artificialness by Roisin Kiberd — Algorithms passing as human
- Travel: Through security by Gabrielle Bellot — In transit in Senegal
- Language: A better word by Wayde Compton — The word ‘passing’ is problematic
- To catch the gaze
- Family: Believing my eyes — Larson’s novel helped me tell my own story
- Sail through The Odyssey
Details: The Happy Reader – Issue 18
64 pages, 24.5 × 17 cm, Softcover