Thisispaper Issue 1 is available now on loremnotipsum.com. For the Inaugural Issue we have interviewed some of the most forward-thinking and inspiring individuals in the design world today. Glithero, Faye Toogood, Feilden Fowles and Phoebe English have let us into their studios. Formafantasma, Marcel van der Vlugt and Anouk Griffioen discuss the proccess behind their spectacular works. The duo Nina Donis share their previously untold story. And Kanoa Zimmerman’s photography needs no commentary.
Thisispaper came to life online almost two years ago to showcase design of exceptional quality as seen through our purposefully subjective eye. Thisisipaper is located in Warsaw (Poland). Since its inception its form resembled a moodboard, in that it relied much more heavily on image than on text. With time we began to feel the need not only to tell longer stories, but also to give these stories a tangible form – so that they are physically by our side, waiting to be revisited, rethought and reconnected with anytime. Some content vanishes in the abyss of the Internet but thrives in print. The immediacy of webbrowsing allows for absorbing inspiring bits and pieces in large quantities but doesn’t necessarily foster careful examination or rereading. In this book we let the designers speak for themselves, asking them questions aimed at the underside of the finished product. Their generous answers unveil the details of how and why they design.
Contents: Thisispaper – Issue 1
- Faye Toogood on what it means to be truly multidisciplinary.
- Glithero on the discoveries that inspire their projects.
- Marcel van der Vlugt on the heroines he portrays.
- Phoebe English on her search for timelessness in design.
- Feilden Fowles on the need for rebalancing in architecture.
- Kanoa Zimmerman on the stunning beauty of the abyss.
- Anouk Griffioen on fruitful collaborations.
- Nina Donis on the challenges and how to tackle them.
- Formafantasma on craft and industry.