Power dynamics are ever-present in relationships, forcing us often to submit. Yet in moments of desperation, inspiration, and organization, we can chose to resist. Resistance is an evolving beast that, under the constraints of a dominating authority, brings forth our most creative instincts. Whether forging tools of opposition like Misrata’s “technical” trucks, building forts of defense like Butaro’s disease-resistant clinic, or devising subversive alternatives like Mexico City’s black market, creative resistance reflects the state of the opposition, the values of the opposers, and the nature of the weapons available to fight.
- Misrata’s Homemade Weapons. Charla Jones investigates Libya’s mechanics who, faced with civil war, put their skills and ingenuity toward improvised munitions.
- Digital Dissonance. DJ Pangburn argues that the strength of the hacker collective Anonymous lies in its ability to evolve and branch off like a biological organism.
- Technological Disobedience. Ernesto Oroza chronicle’s Cubans’ unique relationship with industrial design in the face of isolation from global trade.
- Infographic: A Year in Protests. The world has been swept by a wave of globally connected protests. Here’s why Resistance will never be the same again.
- Observed: Resistance. A visual tour of Resistance around the globe, from JR’s famous decoration of troubled barrios to Occupy Wall Street’s surveillance-free radio system.
- The real Arab Spring back story
- Hacking SIM cards in Ghana
- Cairo’s revolutionary cafes
- Reusing bomb metal in Laos
- Renegade electricians
- And more…