Another Escape Volume 10 (the Altitudes Volume) is available now on loremnotipsum.com. It unearths what we may learn when we push the limits of our human ability and earthly confines, and it observes how feeling small in big places can challenge our perspective on the world and our place in it. It uncovers cultures and communities harboured by the rugged folds of mountainous terrain and shaped by high altitudes, and it reflects on how even in the most trying of environments it is possible to live harmoniously with nature.
The Altitudes Volume uncovers our fascination with height, flight, and all things skyward. It includes stories about mountain running the arduous trails of Georgia’s Caucasus Mountains; the composure, strength and mental endurance needed to perform the exhilarating sport of high-lining; and how pushing the limits of human ability and being creative in wild spaces can teach us some of life’s most valuable lessons. It discovers the cultural significance of mountains and their influence on artistry, spirituality, and the human psyche; the natural wonder of North America’s flyways and the incredible birds that fly them; how we may find comfortability in the backcountry and on mountain terrain; and unique cultures and communities long fostered by their mountain surrounds. This volume’s travel section ventures to the highlands of Ladakh, India, a place rich in history and culture, shaped by the rippling landscapes of some of Central Asia’s great mountain ranges.
Discover Another Escape – Volume 10.
Another Escape is an independently published bi-annually magazine. We are inspired by individuals being creatively ambitious and inquisitively investigating what inspires and excites them. We all get those moments in life when we experience, if only for a second, something that utterly inspires us; we want to be a musician, a dancer, a bee keeper, a circus performer. It may be the overwhelming desire to collect new experiences, travel, or learn a new skill or language. We can take away from these energetic individuals fuel for our own motivation, and Another Escape looks to tap and bottle this invigorating subject matter, and subsequently encourage others to actively explore their own aspirations. We are big fans of the printed word (and image), and wanted to create a well designed tactile object that could slot onto your bookcase, sit on the coffee table or be slung into a rucksack.
This volume includes
- Drawn Upwards: Our fascination with height, flight and all things skyward.
- On Foot: Mountain Running to Europe’s Highest Village – Sweat, lactic acid, arduous terrain and breathtaking vistas in the Caucasus Mountains.
- The High Life: The composure, strength and mental endurance needed to perform the exhilarating sport of highlining.
- Mountains as Muses: How precipitous landscapes can inspire artistic practice.
- The Shifting Archetype: Finding Meaning in Mountains: The cultural significance of mountains and their influence on the human psyche.
- Small in Big Places: Pushing the limits of human ability and being creative in wild spaces.
- Scaling Lofty Heights: Discovering comfortability in the backcountry and the accessibility of mountain terrain.
- Sky Migrations: The natural wonder of North America’s flyways and the incredible birds that fly them.
- Save the Blue Heart of Europe: Long read: Our final chance to save Europe’s last remaining wild rivers.
- The Mountain Folk: A unique culture long fostered by its mountain surrounds.
- Of Mountains and Myths: The sculptural artworks helping to preserve the Ladin heritage.
- Peaks of Europe: Exploring a continent of wildly varied terrain and its vast ranges in altitudes.
- The Land of High Passes: A place rich in history and culture shaped by some of Central Asia’s great mountain ranges.
- Living at the Roof of the World: The steadfast lifestyle of the Chang-pa, the nomadic herdspeople of the Chang-thang plateau.
- Tsampa: Ancestral self-sufficiency and nourishment at high altitude.
- Learning from Ladakh: Lessons on sustainability, food sovereignty, and fostering an entwined relationship with nature.
Details: Another Escape – Volume 10
160 inside pages, 200mm x 265mm, 300gsm matte laminate cover, 120gsm inside pages, Printed on Edixion Challenger FSC, Euro Eco-label paper.